Superman Digital Movement

Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Djembe

I love music. Sometimes I wish I was more musical, but all I can do is hit things and make rhythm. haha! Well it's fun anyway.The first type of drum I played was a whole drum set. It was pretty fun, and I learned the basics, but it just wasn't coming naturally to me. I'm not saying I gave that up, because I still have the set and do want to practice more, but it wasn't flowing. I dunno if that has to do with the way I was taught or not. But when we bought a djembe from Jesse Borden, I found an instrument that I wanted to practice for fun not because I had to. Jesse taught me the basics and I just went from there. And I never though of playing it as a task but as fun. That's how I like to learn things, naturally. It makes you feel like you had it in you and you were meant to do it. In other words, it's a God-given gift.

So, anyway, I have gotten much much better with out even realizing the drastic change in my play. Now it is sooooooo much a part of me. I play twice every Sunday, once for church and once for a worship meeting. I also play, anytime in the week when asked to or if I just want to. I've found that I've become so used to playing it for worship that it is harder to enter worship without it. Everyone one loves to hear me play and they say it adds a lot to the music, but I don't think anyone loves to hear it as much as I love to play it!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats cool how much you like djembe! jesse is making these things called tongue drums.
he tunes them and everythibg and they have an amazing sound.
he needs to start a business.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was from me (colin)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Superman Digital Movement said...

ya, colin, i saw a picture of a tongue drum on your moms blog, it looks crazy cool! i totally agree that he should start a business, everybody likes what he makes.

8:00 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

chase! you are the man! and by the way, i don't think jesse can worship very easily without hitting things either :-) see you soon!!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Jenelle said...

I've got a jesse drum, too, and I've been accused of making funny faces while playing it. ("drum face" I make, apparently.) I think I had the most fun playing it through the airport in D.C. when I came home last year and was waiting for my parents to come pick me up. I felt famous.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

makes me happy to hear about people liking, but mainly worshiping through a djembe. i think people that play instruments and worship need to explore more how to worship through the instrument. not just saying "this is for God" but exploring it becoming a spiritual thing and expressions of your sould...like i think you are describing!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chase, you ARE SO MUSICAL! I'm so glad that drumming is becoming part of your heart, your blood, your worship and your prayers. You are a gift to the world. Can't wait to hear you play again. Love, Aunt Jen

4:28 PM  
Blogger Pam Markley said...

Chase, worship at my place isn't the same when you don't show up...what will we do this summer???? Are you sure you have to go back to America? still procrastinating!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home